Half Elves Against Trelly

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Screenies 19, with lots and lots of text. Lots of it!

Possible names for this blog post:

"O Shard, Where Art Thou?"
"I Spy by Solsek's Eye"
"Large Raid Mobs, and the People who Poke Them"
"Why Miners Have Short Life Spans"
"It's Not a Party Until Everyone's Naked"
"Oh...You Don't Have Teleporter Access?" (this can also go to "questions you don't want to hear in a group" along with "what step are you on?") (we made about 3 trips to the teleporter in LS last night)

But I figured simple and direct was best.


I've been having technical problems this week with my pc -to make a 3 page post shorter. One of the highlights, along with bouts of terrible lag, was a few trips to linkdead land in some of the most inopportune times and places. One of those places being standing on a campfire in Everfrost, mid fight with a mob of agro Frosthorn Vindicators.

I dunno about everyone else, but I have to remap my keys everytime I log in, thanks to some squirrely issue with mouse_look that I still haven't figured out. The only thing that corrects it is just remapping my keys. This means when I log in, my controls are squirrely and I can't turn or run normally like the other kids do.

So I log in and from the Vindicators point of view, it was like a miracle... a juicy Fury with low HP and light armor just appears in the middle of their camp.
*cue the choir*
"Now THIS is what we've been dancing around our fire for!"

There's just a second when you log into a spot like this, you might be happy to know, where things around you are non-ag...but you still can't move, so it was one of those moments where I looked at them, they looked at me, then pong! the red outlines were up & the races were on. And, like a bad dream where you feel like you're running in water, I went galloping off in an erratic, panicked zigzag from a growing mob of arctic monitors and vindicators (plus one ice wolf and her puppy), trying to remap my keys and not get wiped out at the same time (for this reason, I think I shall especially enjoy playing my scout at higher lvls with evac).

I managed to escape (*gasp* *wheeze* *cough* *collapse face first into the snow*) and remap my keys, got myself down to the respawn tent, speed buffed myself to the gills, and lept into the water, full steam ahead for the other side of the bay.

I forgot to cast water breathing.

I swam, at gerbil speed, straight to the bottom, then drowned.

/doh


But anyway, yesterday/last night...

I went off to EF to work on writs a while. I was running around the ice field and saw this (hm, a giant frozen condom sticking out of the ice):



Kra'Thruk or something like that, lvl 57 ^^^ x 4

I thought "hmm, I wonder how big it is out of the ice?"** (either Flagdad or Borador just made a crass joke, I know it)

So, I prepared for death (chat: "I'm going to poke it" them: "glad we're here and you're there, have fun!"), and threw a nuke.



He hit me once for 6536 damage, and scrabbled back to his place in the ice. It happened so fast I didn't realize until 10 minutes ago that I actually got a screenie of him...and I was waiting to hit the button (glad I did, because I never really saw the stupid thing while I was there).

The first screenie above is actually after he hit me...I'm dead, and still standing.


So ok, I started it, I admit it. My steady decline in armor durability over the day started with one deliberately tossed nuke. Bad Nin!


From that point, I pestered Syura into letting me tag along with him, using my group invis as a lure *dangles lure* and we went down to Solsek's Eye to get the runes he needed for dragon language.


Solsek's Eye is a mine inside a volcano... populated by giants, and other large aggressive high lvl creatures. As a dungeon, it is spectacularily huge, and deep! And when you get down there, you find yourself on glass walkways over a very long fall into lava.

Did I mention I'm kinda squidgy about heights? I'm ok in planes, and next to sturdy railings, but when there's no railing, I'm not only afraid I'll fall off, but that for some whacko reason, I'll have the compulsion to jump off and I won't be able to stop myself. Or something. We know I'm not normal, bear with me. This squidginess even extends to games.

So, when you're walking along the glass walkways, there are giants patrolling them, and, you have to walk through them. There's a second where you're moving foward but can't see anything because your view is all giant. So it's kind of nerve wracking wondering if your character is walking off the walkway for a lavadive ... if you stop, the people who didn't risk losing invis, if you don't stop, you may fall in...eek.
By the time we left SE, I felt sorta ill and wasn't planning on heading back down there anytime soon.

Oh and I hate lava. That's a rollover hatred from an alternate universe and first person shooters.

So later on in the evening, we end up in Permafrost. Thanks to a strangely timed pop, bugged mobs seeing through invis and just plain broken invis/bad luck there was not one, but 2...oh wait no, 3... wipeouts/near total wipeouts... maybe an evac or two. I think I've lost count, but we did some jogging through Everfrost.

By the time we left there, holding the scraps of our armor in place, we were all pretty sick of PF. So we decided to go to SE. hahahaha an even WORSE dungeon with lava! yeah!!

By the time we left SE at the end of the night, we'd made at least 4 trips back down (even with group invis) and my armor was at 10% - I really still wonder why I didn't jump in the lava and get it to 0, just for the sake of having got to 0 in one night. (in case you're wondering, that's 11 gold in repairs... gotta keep the mender's kids fed)

The highlight of the trip (other than a sorta darkly funny squabble between Ple and Syura about the mechanics of group invis...after it'd been broken and we were all on our way back to get our shards), was this (chat c&p'd from the previous screene for context):



Someone said the first hit was 13,000+ slashing damage. Oops!!



Oh and earlier in the evening, I decided to turn Numdyin's floating book familiar into a kitty... we got...hovercat!



"Are you going to help hold this rock up or what? I have an itch!"



(** side note: WHO designed the Tundra Terrors - species of which the giant raid mob above belonged to - are you ok, man?

Because, I have to say, those things look... .... .... well they look sort of like a cross between H.R Geiger's Alien, a kinky sex toy that would go perhaps in one's bum, a flea, a lobster, an unagi roll I ordered at a sushi bar once that they'd tried to make look like a dragon -but really ended up looking like a giant millepede on a plate with eyes made of flying fish roe...and maybe a bird claw.

Yeah, I think bird claw is what I'm looking for... a bird claw with a frozen condom on top and a pill bug hanging off it's backside.

At any rate, dang those things are ugly...and creepy! I'm not sure if I should say "Brilliant!" or "you dudes are sick!")

(second side note -maybe this is just the perspective of a female playing the game - the Tundra Terrors reminded me - but has anyone else noticed the game is absolutely swimming in phallic symbols? Towers, pillars of rock, obelisks...and then the tundra terrors, where you literally have an entire field studded with phallic symbols sticking out of the ice. ^_^ Yeah, yeah, "you dirty minded GIRL" some may say, but the next time a Paladin Dwarf runs up and waves his gigantic prismatic long sword at you out of the blue, ask yourself what he's REALLY saying (j/k Thrarin ;p))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home