Half Elves Against Trelly

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Shoes, and shoe sizes.

I have a few screenies to dig through and post, just haven't got around to it, dirty slacker that I am. ;)

Major changes going on in Holy Might. Mik, Alemi and I all simultaneously decided to step down. There were a variety of reasons that went into it, some not the best or well thought out, and some well intentioned. We could have planned it better - and we all know it - but luckily it seems to be working out despite our precipitous decision to self-demote, and in no small part due to the people stepping up to take over.


We followed the tradition of turning Leader nominations and choice over to the guild and they voted in Templaria, Audra and Shaggis.


When I waitressed after high school and through college, I found that even while I didn't particularily *like* what I did for a living at the time, there were certian managers that I enjoyed working for. I could have had a job digging ditches and would have liked it because I was working under good management and something about their leadership made me take pride in what I was doing, however simple. I can't put my finger on what, exactly, it was about them. Maybe the right balance of authority, humor and empathy or the attitude that they weren't ever too high up the ladder to dig in and get dirty with the rest of us.

It's the same sort of thing in school, when you have that one teacher that makes you enjoy going to class & makes you want to put in more time and your best effort.

I see that in these three. All three are people I respect and can offer my support without a second thought. Temp and Audra have both been the type who, while Alemi, Mik & I were leaders, quietly gave themselves over to service of the guild. There was never any fuss, never "look at what I do" or any sort of competative need to seek out the attention that could come with being part of leadership in a large raiding guild.

Audra and I were talking about cars the other night, and she was talking about a hybrid she test drove. She mentioned that if you don't have accessories going or something that requires the gas engine to kick in, you would not know the car is running at all. It's totally quiet. It's odd metaphor to attach to Temp and Audra's positions in leadership, but, they are the hybrids. They do what they do quietly and without fuss, totally under the radar of 98% of the guild, and when needed, the gas engines kick in.

(this is kind of funny I'm going "here" since a while back we jokingly compared our personalties to cars as a thinking game while camping junk in the Feerrott)

Shag is more like my Jeep. Well ok maybe not *my* jeep, per se, which is really more of a vehicular disaster... but a Jeep in general. ;) You know he's there and running... he's got a funny knock in the engine that no one can pin down (maybe it's a sheep tail), but the knock and rattles and squeaks are character vs. "flaw" and as far as vehicles go - while the others will get you there quietly and efficiently with a minimum of fuss, he'll get the whole party over the obstacles - the boulders and rocks and flooded road.


This is a lot of text to say: I dig the new leaders. But, all three of them rightly deserve the praise they get. In any genré - you want leaders who are dedicated to the service and betterment of the community they lead. Audra and Temp have already been in this position long, long before stepping up to wear the leader tags. Shag was in it the minute he joined the guild. All three of them have what it takes to make Holy Might better than what it was, and a guild people enjoy being in.

So while I'm sad about stepping down and an "era" ending for the guild, I'm excited to see what they do and where the guild goes with them leading.

It has been said on the forums that these three have big shoes to fill. I think what's not yet visible to those who wrote this, is that it is the other way around. To be an officer, I'm the one who'll be walking around with oversized shoes. I hope I can do as well for them, as they have done for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home